One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

These are a few of my least favorite things

I love running, I do. But there are some aspects that get on my nerves while running and I thought I would make a list. This is not because I haven't been running, so there. So here is my list in no particular level of annoyance.

1. Dogs off leashes -- I am an animal person and I like dogs. That said, people who use the same paths as I do will sometimes let their dogs off leashes and then the dog will run at me while I am running. I don't know your dog and I am sure he is friendly but I don't know. So it makes me nervous. I have been scratched in one of these situations.

2. Shouters -- Sometimes my fellow runners will shout to get themselves motivated. I am a fan of anything that gets you up for your run, I mean really go for it. However, I will say that those that shout to get themselves up for the game get me. It just rattles my nerves a bit to have someone shouting behind me. I think it is the startle factor and the good Samaritan in me thinks is this guy in need of some help.

3. Litter -- This gets me, there are trash cans everywhere but some people, I am guess people but I suppose it could be the deer, leave all sorts of bottles and trash on the running/ biking paths. I mean really walk the 100 yards and put it in the can. It gets me fired up because there is no need for it.

4. Chaffing -- Well this happens infrequently these days, and not just because my miles have been down. I have gotten the chaffing injury a time or two and I never realize it as it happens. That is a little gift I realize afterward. I use my glide but every now and then surprise. Ha, ha!! No one ever expects a Spanish Inquisition.

5. Jogging Packs -- I will qualify this a bit. I will run behind a group that will run abreast to fill the entire jogging path and make it difficult for anyone to pass the group. Please people make a couple of rows.

6. Bikers -- I don't dislike all bikers. I have heard that bikers think that runners are too intense looking and thereby unfriendly. Well for those of you that just whip by without any warning, I don't like those bikers. A little courtesy please, just let me know you are coming.

7. Chatters -- Some folks will use the paths for just walking and sometimes they will run into some friends and stand in the middle of the path and chat. There is plenty of room off the path but I suppose that the middle of the path is more inviting. So I will come running up on a group of 10 people stationary in the center of the path. They will also have no urge to move even on seeing people running toward them. I think the discourtesy thread coming strong about now.

8. Drivers -- I think this is first. When I run the roads rather than the bike/ running paths I have to deal with traffic. I don't assume much when running the roads. I think at least once a day that a drive will pull through the cross walk and stop there. I don't care if you do this when you don't see a runner; however, these folks will do this after I am already in the crosswalk. Also, some drivers will turn through my crosswalk when I am running through it. This is also after they see me in the cross walk, while talking on their cell phone (usually). Sunday a woman almost hit me by turning through my crosswalk while I was running across the street. To this I give her a stern reprimand.

You are not very polite, so there
.
Well there is a small list of annoyances for Tuesday.

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I've been lucky with dogs so far.
I've never encountered a shouter.
Litter annoys me too. Especially when I see it's an unopened chocolate bar about 3/4 through my long run and I'm really hungry.
Chaffing. This used to be a major problem for me when I got started. No more for some reason.

You missed number 5!

David H. said...

I can't stand people who walk or run on the wrong side of the road in my non-sidewalk neighborhood. Even though I'm perfectly legal and running facing the traffic on the left side of the road, I often get looked at like I'm the one in the wrong. Easily more than half of my neighborhood's residents walk with the traffic.

Jason said...

Dude, I totally agree with the dogs off leashes thing.

Although you may know your dog is the nicest dog ever, I don't. BTW, my wife got bit a coupe of months ago because of a dog not on a leash...she had to get a tetanus shot.

Jeff said...

There is an interesting back and forth between bikers and runners. Seems they don't really understand each other. When I'm running and waive to a biker, they seem to be less interested in reciprocating than if I were a biker, and vice versa. (Doesn't stop me from waiving, though.)

Just keep running and ignore everyone else.