One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hopeful Comeback

My running has been terrible for the past 6 weeks, it is true. Last night I ran 4.1 miles and I looked back in my journal (I am geek about writing things down what can I say) and noticed that the last time I ran further was on June 14th or about 6 weeks ago and that was 4.11 miles. There is serious trouble in the kingdom. I noticed that I had been taking longer walk and water breaks than usual. I short I was mailing it in a bit. There were reasons for my lack of motivation, mostly it was very humid and hot. I know these are factors and looking back at my numbers for last summer I notice that this was a factor then as well. That said I was also about 6o pounds heavier. Well last night I did run my 4.1 miles with shorter water breaks and no walk breaks. So that was a good change. I think part of my problem was that I was going out too fast and tiring myself out too soon. So I will have to back off the pace by 30 seconds for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

My goals are to get to 20 miles per week. If I run 4 days a week I feel great, if I run less I feel like something is off. This is where I feel the best. So here is the week of running I have planned:

M: 4.1 miles - I did this one already
T: 3-5 miles
W: Screwing off
Th: 3-5 miles
F: Lazing about
Sa: 6-8 miles
Su: Make a mash-potato mountain

Total Range: 16.1 miles to 22.1 miles

This is the goal I hope to make it and if I can this week I am sure I will fine for the summer. Wish me luck, I may need it. The good news is that last night I was able to finish my run without any sort of pulls or strains and I feel fine today.

6 comments:

David H. said...

Your body literally took a beating when you trained for the marathon, so it was only natural that you needed a break. After my marathon last year I got sick and had two injuries before I finally shut it down. Rebuild your mileage slowly, set your sites on another event and you'll be OK!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

"make a mashed potato mountain"

classic. just classic!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Yep, I think you just needed some time off. But it's good to see you are back on the wagon!

Nancy said...

Great plan. The marathon and the heat and the personal trauma can all take a toll. Don't be to hard on yourself.

*lisa* said...

Good plan - let us know how things are going :)

Nat said...

I find that running in the summer is rough and there is usually so much going on that's it's hard to fit all in. Slow and sure... it's the way to go.