One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sprinting Fool... or just a fool (Speedwork W2, D1)

Last night I continued on my quest for the holy grail, which is speed. Pardon the Arthurian reference, I am reading Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles and it has taken hold of me as of late. These are some of the best stories involving King Arthur that I have come across, of course I love Bernard Cornwell and recommend all his works but these are top shelf. Now that I have done my little reading pitch. I went out and did a little three mile warm up because for me speed work is something I have to work myself into. I don't want to get hurt so I do three miles at about a 10:30 pace and then I did 5 sets of sprints. These were .10 at speed and then a .10 walking back to the start point.

I have been working on being consistent with the speed instead of just trying to go all out, well except for the last one ... that one I go all out. The firs four were at about a 7:30 pace. This is faster than my tempo pace by a good deal and I feel like I can maintain this without too much trouble. My legs don't bark and my chest does not feel like there is an explosion on the horizon, but it is difficult. For the last one, I go all out and try to burn it ... with a little help from Linkin Park. This one was a 5:33 pace. Now that was fast and smooth. But my heart felt like it was going to explode. It didn't. But that felt awesome. Tonight I have a tempo run scheduled.

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

That's a pretty good turn of pace there!

I love Bernard Cornwell. I think I've read all his books. Brilliant stuff.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

whoops, sorry about the other post...

hopefully you don't have a giant rabbit or have to cross a bridge and guess someone's favorite color or even deal with the knights who say nee while chasing this holy grail. keep up the good work!

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, you are going to be so speedy. Good for you putting this in your routine.