One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, September 22, 2008

Her First Race

I was not up for the Philly Distance Run this year. My training fell off this summer and I am now gearing up for the Philadelphia Marathon (1/2 marathon variant) in November. My daughter, Emily made her racing debut at the kids' run. It was a half mile run.

She did a great job. She competed in the 5-6 year old division and lined up in the second row. When the start sounded she was off like a dart and was in the middle of the hunt. I took a couple of photos (they haven't been up loaded yet) and then crossed over to see her after the half way mark.

She was still in the middle of the pack and I cheered her on to the finish line. She said she really liked it a lot and was very proud of her finishers medal. That is the one she is showing off in my cell phone picture above. I wish I had been encouraged to get involved in these sorts of things when I was younger and I am glad she is having fun with running. Watch out Deena Kastor. :)

2 comments:

dougis said...

Congratulations to both of you.
It is great that the two of you have something like that to share.

Anonymous said...

God that's awesome. The Boy did that race while I did the Distance Run last year. (Nice swag for the kids eh?)

I had so much fun during the Distance Run last year. I took so slow because I really didn't want it to end. (I have a bit of a love affair with Philly.) There is half there in November?