One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dealing with a Lay Off

I was laid off on Monday, I knew that it was coming sooner rather than later. It was still a bit of a shock when it came. I hold no ill will against my now former firm. They have been much more than fair with me over the time I was there. I have nothing but good things to say.

Now I find myself in the midst of a job search. The economy is sobering at best. I have submitted numerous resumes and have had a few face to face discussions and quite a few phone calls. It seems I might have something within a week, but there are no guarantees. I was able to put my student loans on hold so that was good.

Here is my checklist for keeping positive during this stressful time:

1. Take a breath - being laid off is not a reflection of your abilities, it is a reflection of the economy.
2. Remain energetic and vigilant toward your goals. Put in as much time finding a job as you would working. As this is your job right now.
3. Exercise - this will help to keep the frustration at bay.
4. Get your rest - losing sleep does no one any good. You have to be rested to be effective in your job search.
5. Take a breath (again) - be relaxed and execute your plan for finding a new position.

I know that I will have things worked out shortly.

8 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Great check list, I wish you nothing but the best Rob.

Sending positive thoughts over the Delaware river.

dougis said...

I too like the list you made out and wish you all the best in your search.

Unknown said...

Hey Bob, that sucks, but this looks like some good advice.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Sorry to hear about the layoff but I'm sure you'll do well.

Anonymous said...

I lost my job last year and was unemployed for four months. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise and a chance to reflect on the most important things in life. Best of luck in your job search, but also use this time to relax.

Nat said...

Positive thoughts from up here as well.

I know that The Man's layoff was a positive thing in many ways. I hope the same for you.

Jeff said...

Great check list -- I'll be stealing your ideas! (Wait -- you're a lawyer, better not admit to theft of intellectual property.) (Add one item -- keep sense of humor.) Good luck on your search, Rob.