One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Break Time Over, Back to Work

I will admit that I have been 100% slacking this holiday season. I had hurt my calf and was trying to get to the gym to hit the elliptical machine but I realized that I was doing more harm than good, it happens to us all. Since the first part of the month I have been really focusing on my martial arts training and not so much on running. I think it has been a couple of weeks since I had a real run. But that's fine, a little down time is needed every now and again. I can say that my body feels rested and now I am itching to get back into things again. But before I go into what will be I will look at what has been.

This year I accomplished quite a few things and had quite a few set backs. I turned 4o this year, which seems to be a bit of a milestone. I wasn't sure if I would make it to 25, so I am on borrowed time. :)

What did I do that was good?
  • Ran my first marathon
  • Ran a 5k at less than a 10:00 pace
  • Ran two half marathons and qualified for the National Marathon in DC (It's not the same as Boston but I will take it for now.)
  • Overall got a good deal faster
  • Lost about 35 pounds (but gained 15 back ... what can you do.)
  • Practiced martial arts a great deal during the year
  • Read about 50 books
  • Maintained a positive outlook on life

What happened that was not so good?

  • Fell into a serious funk after my marathon
  • Suffered what seemed to be injury after injury from the Summer on
  • Turned 40!!! yikes. (just kidding, I don't really care).
  • Did not reach my 1000 mile run goal, sad a little on that one.

Well it looks like the good has outdone the bad, so I think I will label it a successful year. So that leaves me asking what comes next? I am a bit of a planner so I will give you a tentative list of things on the horizon.

  1. Run in the American Odyssey Relay in April
  2. Run half marathon at the National Marathon in D.C. (still thinking about this one)
  3. Run Philadelphia Distance Run in September (half marathon)
  4. Run full marathon for Philadelphia in November
  5. Continue to keep at my martial arts training and hope to inch closer to black belt by the end of the year.
  6. Read another 40 t0 50 books.
  7. Lose that 15 pounds that came back and 20 to 25 of his brothers
  8. Keep a positive outlook on life.
  9. Try again to hit 1000 road miles for the year.

So there is my year in review, it is positive. I have had some tough times and some not so tough times. I want to thank everyone for being there and wish everyone well in the New Year.

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Overall many more positives than negatives my friend. Well done and here's to a better 2009.

Jeff said...

Great outlook, Rob. Here's to a happy and even healthier 2009!

Anonymous said...

You had a great year. You're now a marathoner no matter what! It's been great reading your blog this past year and I look forward to following you in '09!

Paula said...

Your attitude makes it a good year. Keep smiling and keep moving in 2009.