One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Broad Street Run

Well I ran the Broad Street Run today. Last year this was the first race that I ran and I did not run it very well. I was very fat and injured and averaged a 14:26 mile over the ten mile course. Today my average pace was 10:11. This is a 4:15 improvement per mile, I feel safe saying that I will never have this degree of improvement ever again in my running. The thing is that I lost about two and half minutes over the course on the water breaks. It seems that running in the pack means that there is more of a crowd at the water stations. If I had been able to take the stations as I usually do I probably could have shaved a minute or so off this time. It is a minor thing to complain about over all.
This is a great course. It is a straight 10 mile course through the heart of Philadelphia. It is a fast course, so maybe I should not feel to awesome about my time (but I do). There are some ups but it is mostly a down course. There are lots of bands and the Mayor of Philadelphia set you off and you can high five the Governor of Pennsylvania just after City Hall. It is a good time. There were more than 19000 finishers today. You read right, 19000. It really is an unbelievable number of people showing up for this run. I know there are more crowded ones out there, but 19000 is still 19000. The nice thing for family is that at the end they have some moon bounces, big slides, face painting, artists, balloon animals and so on. It is pretty nice start to finish.

I felt very good to wipe the 14:26 off the record and replace it with a 10:11. It was a good feeling. I was steady the entire way and was able to maintain a sub-10:00 pace, but for the water stops where I picked up a lot of time. As to the hip, I felt some pressure during the run, I picked this up about mile 5. There was no pain, only pressure and once the race was over it was gone. I think this is good news. I am still trying to recover from this little injury and it is good news to me that there was no pain involved on this one.

I am very pleased with this one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Funny thing, I usually do worse on the "fast" courses. So don't sell yourself short. A good run is a good run.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Way to go Rob! You've come a long way.

Time to start thinking about next year's goal! ;)

Jason said...

Great run man!!! Doesn't it feel great to see your times improve :)

Chief Wahoo said...

WAY TO GO!

You have to be thrilled with that huge improvement in one year!

Anonymous said...

Googled the BSR and found your blog. Impressive dedication and improvement over the past year!

I find that staying away from the first few water tables and then swooping in to grab a cup further down the line of tables lets me miss some of the traffic jam at the beginning of the water stops.

Good luck with your running.

Nancy said...

WTG!!!! YOU ROCKED... I never thought about the water stations in the middle of the pack. HA HA, tells you how slow I am. You can be so proud!!!!

Loincloth is optional but I'd give brownie points!! :D

Jeff said...

That's great, Rob. Pain is certainly more important than time right now. (Not to take anything away from your smokin' time.) Looks like you'll be all set for Delaware!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Great improvement Rob. Funny I actually did give Gov. Rendell a high five last year. I missed not doing the race this year. I will be back next year. I guess with about 25000 next year.

Nancy said...

Hi Rob - Got your message that you did this 10 miles for the race. The race is only a 10k (6.2 miles). Do you still want me to use this or do you want to use another run from this week or weekend? I can just use your pace if you want but thought you might have a 6 miler planned or in the books. Just let me know.

Nanc