One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, May 9, 2008

It is good to be giving...

My daughter brought home a nasty bug last weekend. I did OK in fighting it off for 3 days, then well you know, I got sick. She is a girl who just loves to share. I am now fighting a particularly nasty little bug. The fever and weakness were not a big deal as they were only there for about 12 to 18 hours. However, the chest congestion is another matter altogether. It coughed so hard one night I spit up some blood from the broken blood vessels. Blood has a tendency to freak people out, I think I am a bit immune to that effect. I am not sure if that is from my time in the military or something else? However, I did know that I should not continue to spit up blood because that is not good for you. Anyway, it was a minor thing and was only one night. Now I feel fine but I have to cough a bit. The sad news is that I have not run at all this week. The good news is that I feel much better today and hope to log some miles tonight. Here is what was intended versus what actually happened.

Here is what I intended to do this week:

Monday: Martial Arts
Tuesday: Run 4 miles
Wednesday: Martial Arts
Thursday: Run 4 miles (there was a martial arts seminar that I was planning on going to today but it did not work out - I am really bummed about it)
Friday: Run 4 miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Run 8 miles

Here is what I did do this week:
Monday: Martial Arts (it was a nice class where my speed and power seemed to gel a bit more than previously.)
Tuesday: Hack up a lung with some blood for good measure
Wednesday: Sleep 12 hours
Thursday: Feel like I just did 12 rounds with Evander Holyfield (all day)
Friday: Nothing yet but hope to do 4 miles tonight
Saturday: Plan on 4 miles
Sunday: Plan on a slow 6 or 8 miles

This taper has been a lot of rest time with injury and sickness. I will say this I will be well rested when I get to start line. I am not worried. I did all the prep work and now my body is just recovering a bit more than it would have. The good news is that my body will be as rested as it could be.

3 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

Rob-

I hope you are feeling better - soundslike nasty bu you caught even if it was short lived.

Take it easy and enjoy the run tonight.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Being sick is no fun. Get well soon.

Jeff said...

You'll be amazed how well rested you'll feel when you get running in DE. There's a lot to be said for the taper!