One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What is Next?

I just finished a marathon, yeah! now what? I have been reading a lot about marathon recovery and there seems to be a wide variety of ways on the best way to recover. From what I can glean I have done OK so far. I ate soon after I finished and did walk quite a bit after the race to help my body calm down, so far so good. But when should I get back to running? From what I have seen it seems to suggest that as soon as I am recovered from the marathon.

I only suffered one day of post marathon injury. My muscles on Monday were sore in my neck, shoulders, thighs and hamstrings. I had no problems with any joints. Today, I am fine. I am not tired and I do not feel as though I ran 26.2 miles on Sunday, really I don't. That said, I have a couple of blisters that need to get a bit better. Saturday seems like a good day for a run, but how long?

I stumbled across something that makes sense, do a reverse taper. I like the idea of easing myself back into things for a few weeks. I will take that cue and run with it (sorry). So for the next few weeks I will take it easy and just get back into the flow. I have no races scheduled until October so I am free to do as I please in terms of my running. Then I can work on my speed for the remainder of the Summer (that will be nice).

How about after that what races am I planning on doing? Well the Baltimore half marathon is on the schedule, I paid last year and deferred due to injury. Somehow this doesn't seem like enough. I talked to my brother today, who lives in Las Vegas, and there is a marathon there in December. For those that don't know, I lived in Nevada for about 7 years and graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno for my undergraduate work. So I may do a bit of a destination half marathon to Vegas while visiting family. We may actually be able to convince my Mom out of Maine for a bit of a family thing.

Early Plan is: start a reverse taper on Saturday for three weeks and then work on speed for the summer

Extended Plan: Baltimore half marathon in October and Las Vegas Half Marathon in December.

Well I need my goals so there they are.

8 comments:

David H. said...

I think what works varies for each person. The reverse taper sounds like a good idea and one I tried until I got sick. The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. Enjoy some downtime and then do what feels right to you.

Andrew is getting fit said...

The reverse taper sounds like a great idea.

Nancy said...

Sounds like a plan. Although, as David says, listen to your body too. I'm sure it's slightly different for everyone.

Beware, I've heard Vegas is interesting on the strip but the rest is way out in the boonies and not much to see or much crowd support. That was a couple years back though and it was just getting going, may be different now.

Good luck with the taper and speed!!

Robert Barker said...

I am checking myself right now. I don't plan on any running until the weekend and then only a few miles each day.

Nancy: I am only planning on doing the half which doesn't go out as far. Plus I just finished a Marathon without that much to see on the course.

Jeff said...

Sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking we need a blogger get together in Baltimore!

uchi deshi said...

Congrats on the marathon!!

Pokey said...

I've considered that HM in Vegas too...sounds great!

Glad you are feeling good after last weekend. Congrats again!!!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks for all the well wishing. Jeff, I think a blogger get together sounds great.