One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, May 12, 2008

Week in Review

I am still fighting this creeping crud that my daughter thoughtfully brought home to share. The good news is that it is much less of a problem today than it was earlier last week. I still have to hack now and then but nothing too serious. I had intended to run on Friday night but I was too exhausted after work. The illness just sapped my strength. Saturday was the first day I ran of the week, I suck. I managed 3.25 miles at an average pace of 11:10. I stared out at 10:25 and got slower and slower and slower. The illness just wasn't letting go and I had to stop every so often to spit up. Yuck, I know, but it is true.

Sunday, I decided that I needed to go and do the run again as it was such a great experience, not really, the day before. I managed 5.25 miles and was more consistent with less hacking and wheezing. This was a nice bonus. I was pretty steady and managed an average pace of 10:41 for the entire run. I was plus minus 10 seconds of this time for each mile. I term this a success. I have liberal standards on this sort of thing.

So in the end two whole runs for 8.5 whole miles. I am setting the world on fire this week. The good news is that I did not have one shred of evidence that my hip will be any issue at all going forward. The bad news, I feel beat down today. I think this is because I started to do more on my cross training this weekend as well, so my back, shoulders, triceps and lats are all equally sore. I guess that means I am pretty even, not a bad thing.

So in review
-- sickness - getting better
-- hip - much better
-- running - a bit low for the week
-- cross training - up for the week

5 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

Glad to hear you are recovering.

Nice job getting out there and squeezing out a few miles despite feeling crummy.

Andrew is getting fit said...

I've still not managed to kick my cold after 2 weeks so I hope you manage to do better!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Chief, I really didn't want to run but I felt better after I did it.

Andrew: I hope your NZ brand of sickness is more sturdy than the one here in Philadelphia.

Jeff said...

Take it easy, Rob. Don't do ANYTHING to jeopardize your getting to the starting line. Hang out in a bubble if you need to. You've trained too hard.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Jeff, I will try to heed your words. That said, I like to mix it up a bit ... I'll do my best.

Scott, I am sure you are right. Although, usually a day of rest will usually do the trick as well. But running has helped me kick our little colds in the past.