One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, November 10, 2008

A Fine Finish

I had been fighting a flu most of last week. I know I didn't help myself any when I stayed up late to watch the election on Tuesday or any of the preceding three days looking at polls and opinion on the race. I am a political junkie, it is part of my make up. So I was sick and it seemed to linger. Then as I posted on Friday I finally went for a run, a short one but a run.

Saturday was a better day. I went out and slogged out 4 miles although I could still feel the over all fatigue that goes with getting over being sick. Sunday was the crown jewel of the week: 11 miles. I knew that I wasn't 100% so I had to account for this otherwise I knew that my chances of finishing were not strong. So I decided to do a test run of my half marathon strategy. I have a tendency to start out too fast and get tired and then slow as a result. My plan is to closely monitor my start and keep a short leash on my speed for the first two miles and then let out the slack for the middle miles. I used this plan on Sunday. I kept myself and check and intending to go slow I did first couple of miles at about 11:25. I wanted to be around 11:30, slow and steady is the order of the day. I kept about the same pace for the first 9 miles each mile was between 11:15 and 11:35. I felt fine with no indication of break down, which I thought was a danger due to the recent illness. With two miles to go I kicked it up a bit and finished with 10:15 and 10:00 for the last two miles. I think this worked out well. Controlling energy is a weakness of mine and I have to be more disciplined in my run strategy. That is my plan for two weeks from now.

I have thought about the race and think that 2 miles at a slower pace, then kick this up for the next 8 miles at my race pace. This will leave the last 3 and I plan to consider how I am feeling here. If I feel good I will try to kick it up another notch and if not I want to soldier on at my normal pace. I will use the ten mile mark as a check point of sorts.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting over the flu. It's really crappy being sick.

I reckon your half marathon strategy sounds good. Looking forward to that PR!

Jeff said...

Pretty impressive to get those negative splits in.