One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Weights and Running

When I was a bit younger I had lifted weights a decent amount. I did this primarily to make my martial arts better. Adding speed and power are decent motivators for picking up weights. Over the last few weeks I have been back to lifting weights again, this time to help my running. I have found over the past few weeks that the torso core and leg exercises have done wonders for my running. Mostly my legs feel lighter and my back has greater stamina. The chest and arm exercises I do are probably nice to do as well but for running I think the benefits are being paid on the back and leg exercises.

As with most professionals, I have a lot of things to occupy my day and it can be difficult to get everything in. Weight training has been a casualty of my schedule. I have made a concerted effort to add it back in, it has only been a couple of days a week but it has been enough for me to see the difference.

Here is what I do:

Leg Extensions: This is just a simple machine exercise that is familiar to everyone. I do one warm up set at a lower weight at 25 reps and then follow with 3 heavier sets of 8 to 15 reps. I like the higher reps for endurance purposes.
Calf Raises: I don't do weight on this I just find a stair and knock out two sets of 50 to 75 reps.
Hamstring Extensions: Also a simple machine exercise I follow the same 4 set routine with 25 reps at a light weight and then three sets of 8 to 12 at a heavier weight. Often times I will make the last set a negative set. This is where I resist the weight more coming down as opposed to focusing on the push. I do this at a higher weight.
Lunges: I also do this with out weight and do two sets of 25 lunges each.

Lat Pull downs: These are great for the back and I do this on a machine. This is 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions.
Shoulder Shrugs: I use dumbbells for this and find this really hits the traps in the upper back. I do a bit heavier on this one and focus on doing three to four sets of 8 to 10 repetitions.
Back Extensions: This is a simple roman chair exercise that is nice for back development. I do two to three sets of 15 reps right now. This is a hard one. I am getting better but it takes work to get better.
Dead Lifts: The old standby overall back exercise. I try for reps on this one as well 4 sets of 15 repetitions each.

This is just a snapshot of what I do. I am sure there are lots of ways to get to the same place. I know I have used different techniques myself over the years. I do work other parts of the body, but for running these are the exercises that seem to be making the difference.

Happy running.

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'm going to start doing weights again in the New Year. I'm sure it helps like you've pointed out.