One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, December 8, 2008

Ambition with a Dose of Reality

I had been off to a good start of my December-thon; however, Friday changed that. I tried to go to the gym to keep up my streak but did not know that it closed earlier on Fridays. This left me holding the bad so to speak. I am not recovered enough to run the roads so I could not run. I have decided that as I am officially injured that this was probably poor timing on the run thirty days in a row thing. I ended up taking Saturday off as well. On the plus side my leg feels much better today than it did last week. It is obvious I needed time to heal.

The thing I notice about being 40, rather than when I was 30, is that I get injured alot more. It is a nagging sort of thing that takes a day here and there from me. One has to be relentless in regard to this sort of thing. I would rather live with the little injures here and there than not do the exercise in the first place. But it has taken some getting used to. I am generally in good health and as a result these sorts of nags here and there are not that much of an issue. So I will need to keep my ambition in line when I need to recover. It will take some doing as my sense often times is out of line with my desires. In other words, I can be a knucklehead at times.

For the rest of the Month, I will do my best to do 5 days of week either on the elliptical or on the roads. I won't try running outside until Friday, this will give my left calf extra time to get back into line. I do feel about 95% better today, but I want to take it slow just to be sure. I have no pain walking up and down stairs. I only get a little jolt when I stretch it. So there it is.

What is next??? That is a good question. I have the American Odyssey Relay with some great blogging pals coming up in April but that feels like I should do something else before then. I did qualify for the National Marathon in D.C. which takes place in March. I would only do that half, I like the half. It is a challenge but it doesn't beat you to death like a full will do. Also, the training for the half is more manageable with my life. The marathon training consumed my life. Hmmm, not exactly sure, I will get back to you on that one.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm with you on that 40 stuff. Sometimes it just feels old. Better to scale back and get to 100% than to spend the next year at 95%. Most important to be at 100% for American Odyssey.

I'm thinking about DC too. Just need an official time to qualify now that my speed is there. (Minor detail.)

David H. said...

December can be a weird month. It is when I feel the most motivated, but it can often be the best time to get rest. I applaud you for setting this goal for a month like this. Freak injuries happen and yours just came at a very bad time. Set this goal again – I know you can do it!

Andrew is getting fit said...

A half in March sounds pretty good.

I'll try and enjoy my 30s as much as possible!