One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Little Speed

It has been very hot and humid over the last 3 or 4 days so I avoided running a bit. I admit it. Well today I went out for a bit before work this morning. Not much but something for the books.

9:39 pace, 2.35 miles
This was the first time I ever had consecutive miles under 10:00*. Mile 1 was a 9:45 and Mile 2 was a 9:48. This was nice, I finished with a .15 sprint where my pace was about 6:30. It is nice to know I can reach for the speed when I need it these days. When I set the goals for the summer I wanted to hit 10:00 pace for the 3 to 4 mile range. I think I am way ahead of schedule.
I have a 5k scheduled for next week in the evening after work. It should be a nice little race and it will keep me motivated to get out there this weekend. I have been a little short of running motivation since the marathon. I needed the break to be frank and I can't be too sure how much I will do during the summer. That said, I will do my best. Today I am happy with my performance. I hope to do some running tomorrow and Sunday so I should break 10 miles for a change this week. That would be nice.
* ever in this case means since my return to running a couple of years ago. When I was in the Army some 15 years ago I was running paces in the 6 to 7 minute range for 2 to 3 miles.

2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Congrats on the pace!

Jeff said...

Plenty of time to start building up for the fall races. Unfortunately, it will be here much sooner than you think.

Great coupla miles.