One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer Solstice 5k

Last night after work I did a 5k. It was a good time, I will look into evening runs again. I could tell the field was a good one when I showed up, I should not have been surprised as it was run by my local RoadRunner's Club. The bad news, I came in dead last. There was not a sole behind me, not a one. I am ok with that because I think all things considered I ran a good race. I had wanted to break the 30:00 barrier. Well it remains a barrier but I did finish at 30:37. That breaks down to a 9:51 pace. I have never run any race below 10:00 something before and I only did 10:00 once. So this is an outstanding result. I think this is a good start for the summer.

The race itself was just an out and back on my local park trail but it was a nice little run. Nothing too special as I have run that route hundreds of times before, just not as fast.

I will use this as a base to determine my improvement over the next two months. I will look at this number at a 5k in August and see how far I have come.

So in short, I finished last overall with a PR. Hmmmm, not sure what that says but I am happy with it. Oh, I did shave more than 4 minutes off my 5k from last year.

7 comments:

Road Warrior said...

Eh, I don't think the place matters. At the end of the day, you went out and enjoyed a run. The rest is just details.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Too many positives from last night to worry about the DFL. Nice Job you will break 30 min. in no time.

Unknown said...

great job on the PR and I wouldn't worry about the last place, at least you were out there working out, you beat all the people who didn't even compete

Robert Barker said...

To be truthful, I think it is so funny to have come in last place when running as fast as I did. I am totally fine with it.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Well done. Gotta love the new PRs!

Anonymous said...

coming in dead last means you still finished with a PR, good timing and feeling good. THAT is what you should be proud of. Place doesnt mean anything. Its how you ran the race that counts.

Nancy said...

Last place with a 30? That sucks. You've made amazing improvements. I wish I could have run it with you so you didn't get last. That just isn't right