One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Where have I been?

I have been right here but I haven't been running very much. I do a little here and there in my reverse taper as you can see I did a little under 7 miles last week. I was lighting it up, that was on three runs, whoo hoo. I think after the marathon it is easier to get motivated for other things. I like the running but I feel like I put off so much to do this marathon that I am now catching up. Catching up on what? Glad you asked as for this Summer I feel that my running posts will be pretty spartan.

Six Flags - We bought season tickets to Six Flags Great Adventure. They have three parks (the main theme park, a water park and a drive through safari). I have been a bit family absent during the marathon training so I thought this might be nice to do once a month or so. We went up one day already and it is fun. I am not much of a roller coaster type but there are alot of other things to do as well.

Martial Arts - I have been putting off a test for the past two months due to my running so now it is time to get back to class. I have been a lot over the past few weeks. I am not sure how much anyone wants to hear about this part of my life. I have been training since the age of 16 and I will be 40 this year, so it is part of who I am. I have not trained solidly during that time but I think it would be fair to say I have trained for 15 years of that time period. The art I train in now is a reality focused which means I get hit alot by people much younger. With the marathon over I can now focus more on my training as it is hard to give equal time to anything and a marathon at the same time. I have also been writing a few essays on martial arts in my spare time.

Reading - I have been tearing through some books as of late. I think I have read about 4 in the past 3 weeks. I would recommend the John Adams biography by McCullough. I really liked it, I found a deeper respect for the man who history doesn't do much justice.

Work - Work had been slow over the last month, only about 40 to 42 hours per week. Now, we are speeding up again and it looks like we are approaching the 50 to 60 hour a week pace again. So I have been putting in more time than previously. It was nice that it waited until the marathon was over, so that is nice. :)

On the Horizon - I probably won't post that much this Summer, I will admit this. I will keep busy with some non running related things and will drop some notes now and then but please note my semi-retirement until the fall. This is unless folks really want me to turn this into a martial arts blog.

Happy running.

3 comments:

dougis said...

I don't know that I want it to turn into a full blown MA blog, but I for one would not mind seeing updates on how your training is going.

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'm with Dougis. It'd be interesting to hear how the MA is going.

BBat50 said...

If you are throwing it out for a vote, I like hearing more about martial arts training. I also tend to record all the details of my struggles to increase my mileage and my pace but it's not as interesting as hearing about the martial arts....