One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, October 24, 2008

Martial Journal

I have always been a bit on the fence about including my martial arts thoughts on this blog. There are couple of reasons for this. First, I had really started blogging to talk about my running experiences and progress. As I was excessively overweight, I really wanted to focus my attention on the running aspects of what I was doing. Secondly, I had started a blog dedicated to just martial arts related things. I found there that there are a large number of folks who comment on martial arts related material that are largely only interested in being negative and getting into some sort of pissing contest. There is too much testosterone out there.

But I think that I should try to vary things a bit on my blog. This may add a little spice to it and keep things mixed up a bit. I may switch to an approved comment format to weed out the negative comments. Rest assured that I will make sure that all comments from the folks that normally comment here will find there way on to the blog. It just won't be instant.

Well Rob, what is your martial background?
A: I have been training in martial arts since I was 16 years old, I just turned 40 in August. I did not train solidly during this time period but off and on. At 16, I trained in Tae Kwon Do for about 6 months. It was fine and I had a good time, but it wasn't for me. At this time my family moved to another city and I started training in Chinese Kenpo, this became my training style for the next 5 years. I liked it a lot and enjoyed many aspects of the training. From this point I entered the travel portion of my life and spent a year here and there at different schools. But I trained in Tang So Do, Wah Lum Kung Fu, Bok Fu (White Tiger Kung Fu), and Choy Li Fut Kung Fu. I spent a few months in Danzan Ryu JuJitsu and Hapkido, nothing serious. Then when I went to law school, I attended a Tang So Do school for a year, it was close to my house and I liked the instructor quite a bit. Finally, I have been at an American Kenpo school with a great instructor since February 2007. It is hard to say how long all told I have been studying I think somewhere between 10 to 12 years.

Will this new focus affect the running portion of the blog that we all love so much?
A: No. I will still try to update my running adventures as often as I can. I hope that by adding more content I will always have something to post every few days.

What is with your running these days?
I have been dealing with a tweaked knee. It is hurt but not injured. I just started back again last night. I hope to have much more to say on the running front in the near future. Sorry for not updating sooner.

Back to this Martial Arts stuff, what kind of belt do you have?
Leather, I got it at Sears do you like? Seriously, it is what is in your head that matters not what you wear around your waist. That said, I have a black belt in Chinese Kenpo and ran a school for a time. I also have been in instructor in Bok Fu and Choy Li Fut, I never reached black belt in these disciplines. I will admit that it has been quite a bit of time since I did any of that. So to be frank, this is sort of tracing old foot steps. I am journeying toward black belt again. I am currently a blue belt working toward green in American Kenpo. This is a mid level rank. Personally, I care very little about rank. But I do my thing and when my instructor tells me to test I do. So you are all welcome to enjoy or dismiss these posts as they come along.

I hope you all enjoy.

No comments: