One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Gear Report: Socks

I like my running gear; however, these days I am becoming a bit of a gear snob. Not just any pair of shoes or anything else running will do. I did some experimenting with shoes and stumbled across the shoe that best suits my foot: Brooks. I had been wearing some thin synthetic socks to go along with them. This was fine in terms of preventing blisters but was not so fine on the long runs. After about 5 miles I really start to feel the road. I thought it might be the roads, and that is probably partly the case but not 100%. I needed new socks, not new as in not worn but new as in different. I read some reviews, because I am a geek like that. I mean who reads sock reviews, well this guy does. For what I was looking for I settled on Bridgedales.



I bought a couple of pair through REI, a company that I have a good deal of respect for. The good news was that they were having a sale, Bridgedales are socks that require thought before purchase. They are not an inexpensive purchase for a sock. But I was willing to shell out the coin if it meant that they would come up on their end.

What did I think? I loved them, I mean I feel as a close to these socks as I man can feel to a sock. Maybe it is because they are purple, maybe not. The socks I purchased are the X Hale model which is more of a light weight sock but it was just great and here are the features I enjoyed.

Cushion in all the right spots - the toe, ball and heel of the sock are all cushioned. I went out for 7 miles tonight and they really made the difference in the later miles. My feet and ankles felt fresher at the end of this run than they normally do after this type of distance. The Bridgedales were like a sort of shock absorber (or sock absorber?), which is completely unlike the thinner socks I had been wearing.

Grips in the right spots as well. The part of the sock that covers the instep and arch hugs tightly like an anti-blister sock. I found no movement in the sock during my run. Just very secure in its placement with no rubbing at all.

It Wicks. It was puddle central tonight and I hit a few. The sock got wet but it didn't stay wet. The wicking weave of the sock kept my foot dry despite my efforts to the contrary.

This is exactly what I am looking for in my long distance runs. Thank you Bridgedale you make one heck of a sock.

As for me, I did 7.1 miles at a 11:37 pace. Not bad for a Wednesday.

7 comments:

Bridgedale Socks said...

Hi Rob,

Thanks for choosing and telling the blogosphere about your love of Bridgedale socks! This year Bridgedale celebrates its 25th birthday of making socks --- just socks.

Boo

Jeff said...

Sounds like a great find, Rob. Anything that makes the run more comfortable is worth the extra dough. (Well, as long as my wife doesn't find out.)

Robert Barker said...

These really work and are well worth the money.

chloe said...

Thanks for the info (and such an overall inspirational blog).

Midwest said...

I'm on a quest for the perfect running socks, so I'll have to check these out.

Anonymous said...

Oh... I have yet to find a pair of socks that I love. Maybe just maybe I should try these. Post marathon. Natch.

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Rob,

Good to know about these! Like Betsy - I promised myself to take better care of my running feet and I am trying out new socks too. I like Dryfit right now - but will look these up.