One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Take it and Run: Martial Arts

Today is Thursday and it is the weekly event at Runner's Lounge Take it and Run Thursday. This week's topic is strength and flexibility. What do I have to add to this subject, I am not sure exactly but I will give my thoughts on the subject.

How do I increase my strength and flexibility? Anyone who reads my blog knows the answer to that is martial arts. Here are the reasons.

Boredom and Solitude - Gym exercise is boring, for me. I have spent a lot of time in gyms and two things are generally true. First, it is dull and second, it is an individual experience. No matter how you slice it the pick it up put it down gets old and there is only so much you can do to spice it up. I still lift on occasion but I find the experience to be a bit boring. Also, when you go it is really a solitary event. You may go with a friend but the focus is mostly on you and your workout. After spending hours each week running, alone, I feel I need a more social outlet for my cross training.

Martial arts fills both of these exercise needs. First, you always learn something new in class. You keep your mind and your body focused together during the exercise. This not only keeps you focused but it makes the time really fly by. Sometimes when I am taking classes I realize that an hour has already gone by when it seems like 10 minutes. It is like snapping your fingers. In addition, you are actively working with other people on your technique and skill base. You need the other people for your own improvement and they need you as well. You also need their critique and focus to help you and them out. So it can be a bit more social than the gym. For me martial arts engages my attention and has social aspects that my running lacks.

Results in Flexibility - The amount of stretching required in most martial arts programs will be far more than needed to assist your running endeavors. To gain the flexibility to kick above one's head it is necessary to engage in multiple leg stretches from many different angles. Everything from the hips to the floor are stretched. These stretching skills will really help your legs stay loose when running. I have been doing this for many years and even at my advanced size I can touch my toes, kick above my head, and do about 80% splits. I don't think I will ever get to 100%, too much effort.

Results in Strength - Overall body strength increases with martial arts practice. Throughout your classes your core muscles are constantly worked. Your back and abdomen gain real strength. You may not gain the gym body but you will be strong. If I needed someone with real strength to do something tangible, like more a piano and I had to choose between a weightlifter and a construction worker. I would pick the construction worker because his muscles are honed every day, he doesn't have gym strength he has real strength because he hones his muscles all day long 5 to 6 days a week. He may not look as good but he is more useful, generally speaking. This is what you get in martial arts, not a few sets of 10 reps on your abs but hours at a time spent working techniques that make you stronger through your core.

Additionally, when you work strength against strength during class you get stronger. Grappling techniques make you stronger from head to toe. You will use all your muscles from top to bottom and they will get stronger. You might not look as good as a gym guy but you will have more all around strength. This is what makes my running easier, much easier.

It is a combination workout - Martial arts is marked my starts and stops at high speed and going from one activity to the next very quickly. This works both your aerobic ability and is also an anaerobic activity, much like circuit training. At the end of a good class you are generally soaked in sweat and your muscles feel sore. That is the goal, to achieve an overall workout.

There is something for everyone. - There are more martial arts styles than you can shake a stick at. This means that there is one that will fit anyone. There are kicking styles, grappling styles, knife styles, punching styles (like boxing), and there are combinations. So if something doesn't appeal to you there is something else to try that might. Additionally, there are cardio kick classes that focus more on the workout than the practical aspects.

In short, I get bored at the gym and want an activity for my cross training that does increase strength and flexibility. Martial arts provides this outlet where as an added benefit I get to learn something useful.

9 comments:

kara said...

I've always wanted to try out some form of martial arts - but never have. Your post is convincing.
Thanks for sharing.

Midwest said...

Great post. How do you work both your martial arts practice and your running into your schedule? How much time do you devote to each?

Robert Barker said...

I usually run in the mornings about 4 days a week and then I go to class two evenings a week. I usually do this on off run days but sometimes I will do it on a short run day (4-5 miles). I make sure I take one complete day off per week. I will also practice some at home but that is not for everyone.

Robert Barker said...

oops, sorry Betsy not enough information. These days I run 4 to 5 hours a week and go to martial arts class for 2 with another 2 hours for practice.

Midwest said...

I'm impressed with your dedication!

Nancy said...

You are awesome!! And sounds like these companies are getting into the bloggers for their advertising potential. I've seen several reports of this lately -- very cool, free sock samples. I hope they came in pairs! :D

Great job on the continued dedication and weight loss success!!

uchi deshi said...

I'll have to try taking a day off now and then - that sounds like fun! (Plus it will make my wife happy!)

Robert Barker said...

Betsy: I am not sure how dedicated I am, I do enjoy it after all.

Nancy: It was pairs, which was helpful

Uchi Deshi: You should take a day off, I know if I don't my chance of injury goes way up.

Anonymous said...

I started my latest fitness kick in late 2001. The first 18 months: all gym. Lost 25lbs, grew shoulders. Grew bored. Joined a running group. Lost 10 more lbs, got ripped, got tired of leaving my bed at 5:30 am. Joined a dojo. Still love it. There's plenty to learn. And I'm wearing a blackbelt. And now I understand that a black belt is just the beginning.