One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Week in Review

As I mentioned, I took on a small ankle sprain on Wednesday in the midst of my run. That sucked to say the least. Nothing like an injury to set you back a step. I did manage to make a respectable week out of it, here are the figures:

1/28/08......7.09 miles.....1:22:23 time ...... 11:37 pace.......1373 calories
1/30/08 ....3.75 miles ..... 44:47 time ......... 11:57 pace ......671 calories
2/2/08 ..... 4.10 miles ..... 54:00 time ........13:10 pace ...... 705 calories
2/3/08 ...... 3.88 miles ..... 50:00 time ........12:53 pace ..... 685 calories

Total ......... 18:82 miles (not terrible)


The last couple of days I did my time on the eliptical machine at my local gym. I hate the thing but with a light sprain I choose a little wisdom. I did my time and hope to be back on the roads this week. While I was at the gym I did some weight time as well, which was a nice change.

4 comments:

Jason said...

I understand the injury thing. Keep at it!!

Hey I have a question for you...I'd like to get into the martial arts and was wondering what would fit me. I'd like something practical, but not insane MMA stuff. Any ideas?

Robert Barker said...

Thanks, Jason. As to your martial arts question, it is a little complicated. I would say look at what is around you and visit the schools. Personally, I now study American Kenpo which is more hands intensive than other arts and doesn't get too heavy into the formalities as other arts. Korean arts are heavy on kicking and discipline and tend to have big classes, Japanese schools also have a bit of a militaristic bent but the classes are a bit smaller, Chinese schools are smaller in class size and not nearly as militaristic. But you might want to think about what you are looking for and then shoot me an e-mail me at barker.law@gmail.com then I can give you some more specific information.

uchi deshi said...

How about Aikido?

Robert Barker said...

Sorry uchi deshi, I was only speaking in generalities and Aikido does not neatly fit into my characterizations. Jason if you want to know more about Aikido I think that Uchi Deshi would be a great resource. His site is great.