One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Little Recovery Time

I sprained my ankle last Wednesday in the midst of my evening 5 miler. It is not a bad sprain so no worries, but there is no reason to be an idiot about it. I could have run outside today; however, my lateral movement is a bit compromised. If I had to avoid any obstacles I am not sure if I would feel comfortable doing so. That said I went to the gym today and ran on an elipital trainer. The eliptical I was on is a good one, which is to say I only hated it a little.



All things being equal I would rather be outside. I do know that to get back outside I have to be smart. So the eliptical it was. I put in 4.1 miles on the thing at a 13:00 pace. my ankle is sprained after all. I took it easy and did my time and just reeled back with the thought that this is recovery. I then did some weights for a half hour and went home.



At the gym, I ran into a gent that I worked with at a previous law firm. He is a nice guy and is pleasant to be around. He was telling me how weights were really the only way to exercise and that other forms of exercise were just not as good. He didn't say this as direct as I just did but his point came across. I think that I might have been just as biased if I had decided to argue with him. I merely stated that I thought that weights were a good way to stay fit without chiming in that I thought endurance training should not be ignored. You don't have to run, but you can't argue that it is good for you in numerous ways. I also won't argue that those that decide to focus on lifting, playing basketball or dancing are less athletic than I might be (or will be). I know that the man I used to work with did not intend me to have this type of reaction to his statement. He was only saying that he felt that weight training should be the focus of anyone's fitness routine. I just have a different focus, endurance. Endurance first that is my focus. It is only a different focus, not right or wrong. We are all individuals and do what we think is right in terms of our fitness and abilities.



Have fun out there.

3 comments:

David H. said...

Different things work for different people ... no one is really right in the argument of what works best. I, however, strongly encourage running! :)

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I think our focus is necessarily tied to our goals -- and thankfully there are many different goals out there. Go long, avoid diabetes, lose weight, gain strength, improve cardiac fitness, enhance flexibility. I try to think of the variety of goals when I'm out there plodding around at my Z1/2 endurance pace and they speed by with fast intervals.

Nancy said...

Anyone who says things so absolute should expect a reaction like yours! My husband (the lawyer mind) has taught me to always leave room for being wrong, always leave yourself an out! :D I think in this case, weights are proven to be excellent and something that can really help to change your body, but to say they are the only way? Shame on him. Different things for different folks. I wish running were actually melting the weight off but it doesn't seem to be, so I am trying to mix it up more, however, I suspect it is more about intensity and amount I am accomplishing. Anyway, glad you didn't let him get you down. You are obviously having fantastic results. :D