One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Martial Arts: Hmmm... I could use a good ass kicking

Last night marked my return to martial arts after a few months of injured reserve. As a review, I had a bad plantar injury that really sent bad vibes up my right leg every time I pivoted. It was not good and it wasn't healing so I took some time off to let it heal. I should have been back a few weeks ago but there was that bit with the sprained ankle. So last night I made it back.

Today, I feel sore. We were working on what is known as arm destructions. That is a not so subtle way of saying maiming. So we elbowed through each other's biceps and just in case it is not clear, it really hurts. But just so that I would get the full effect of these pain/ compliance techniques, we also manipulated the collar bone. This is a very unpleasant feeling. Things like knuckles are not supposed to go behind bones, it feels wrong and it hurts, a lot. We did a few more stunning techniques and a few times I was seeing stars on strikes that were no more forceful than opening a bottle of water, nasty stuff. As the saying goes, Kenpo is for the streets.

All in all, it was a successful return and it was good to see all my friends again. I feel like a did a few rounds but I will be back on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Pokey said...

I am sitting here still trying to figure out how you lost SEVEN POUNDS in 2 weeks!!!

I need the secret ~ I have 8 to lose before my vacation next month! (I'd love to lose 10 but am trying to be realistic ;)

Darn men..... :P

Robert Barker said...

I think that a lot of it is that I had a lot to lose. It is harder the closer you get to your goal. But if someone put a gun to my head and said "what is the reason". I think I would have to say lots of water. When I first think I am hungry I drink a bottle of water then wait and see. Usually I am not hungry only thirsty.

Jason said...

Well Rob I started a martial system that's a blend of Aikido and Modern Arnis. It's pretty much up my alley I think. The teacher is great as well. Thanks again for your advice.

Robert Barker said...

Arnis is an interesting system. I may ask you for an update once you are into it for some time. If I did anything that helped you out, I was happy to do so.