One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Weight Loss Update

I was going to wait to see how I ended up during the month. But I figured a half month might be interesting.

February 1, 2008 - 242 pounds
February 14, 2008 - 235 pounds

That would be 7 pounds in two weeks. When I said I have the diet figured out I guess I really did know what I was talking about. Since I have started this more disciplined approach to diet I have dropped 17 pounds. Which is really only about 6 weeks worth of time. Not bad, but it does give you an idea of how bad my diet is. Here is an example of what I eat during a day.

Breakfast: yogurt (nonfat), banana, granola bar
Snack: carrots
Lunch: half sandwich, one small microwave supplement (about 150 to 200 calories) (like a pasta cup), cucumber
Snack: apple, celery
Dinner: Kind of an airplane meal sort of thing - 1x fruit, 1x small microwave dinner sort of thing about 250 to 300 calories, cucumber or celery, slice of bread (rye or pumpernickel)

Through the day I drink 8 to 10 cups of water. I have eliminated all caffenine from my diet save that in my gel packs for running and I take my daily supplements of vitamins. That is it. I am never hungry as the water suppresses my appetite and now I am used to smaller portions. That in combination with the exercise = 17 pounds less in 6 weeks.

Not bad.

8 comments:

Robert Barker said...

Scott, it is not a big deal. We all get flamed now and again. I only took offense as my character was attacked based on an idea that someone didn't agree with. It just wasn't a very classy thing to do. Especially given that I also work with the homeless in their legal struggles, so I do understand the issues.

Nancy said...

HOLY MOSES, you are shrinking before our eyes. This is just fantastic. Way to go on the diet. You are my hero!!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Nancy the encouragement is always appreciated. :)

Jeff said...

Rob, that's great.

What amazes me is that you're able to keep up the level of exercise on that kind of diet. Looks like no more than 1000 calories a day. I know you said you don't feel hungry, but do you feel like you have energy?

Robert Barker said...

Actually Jeff, it is about 1500 to 1700 calories per day. I do eat quite a bit of veggies when I do eat. I preface my lunch with a half of a cucumber and so on. I did the painstaking math. So generally it is 350 cal breakfast, 400 lunch, 600 dinner and then the rest with snacks. If I run I usually take on 150 cal gatorade or 100 cal gel pack.

David H. said...

After losing weight initially and not quite getting to where I wanted to be, I always manage to gain some back, then lose it... I'm in that phase again of gaining a little bit back. I think I'm going to have to follow your diet!!

*lisa* said...

Wow, Rob - that's great - You're such an inspiration to me. I can't wait to get.out.there. again!

The only advice I have to give (not from experience, obviously, but as a researcher in the field) is to be cautious of your diet as you start to do longer training runs to prepare for your marathon. Make sure you eat plenty of carbs 2 nights before your long runs to fill up your muscle energy stores (so Thursday evening if you're going to run Sat. mornings)

Jeff said...

1500-1700 sounds a lot better. Was thinking of smaller portions. Good for you.