One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A night of no fear...

When I was growing up, I liked comic books. I wasn't much of a fan of the 4 color variety like superman. I was drawn to the gritty heroes. My favorite was Dare Devil. Dare Devil was the man without fear. As an 11 year old boy what is not to be impressed, a blind guy who happens to be a kung fu master fights crime in the streets of New York. I mean you would have to be crazy or fearless.

I have been running in the fear of injury since last year. I know that injuries happen but I know that if I slowed just a bit that I wouldn't risk injury as much. Tonight, I threw that out the window. I wanted to see how fast I could run a 5k. For those that don't usually read my stuff, my general pace is between an 11:15 and 11:45 pace. Sometimes a bit faster but not too often.

Tonight I had no fear and ran for all I was worth, which may or may not be very much, hmmmm.

I started out of the gate trying to find my runner's bounce and it came early. In the past I would gear back just a half step when I reached this point. But tonight I wanted to ride the wave to the 5k mark. Mile 1) 10:24 I was impressed when the Captain (my garmin gps) alerted me to the results. I was a bit taken aback. I felt good so I kicked it up another little bit. I was feeling good and felt I could push it. Mile 2) 10:02 Wow! that was a great mile. Outstanding really, perhaps the best since I started running again. I have to admit that I started to feel the fatigue on the uphills of mile 3. It was a little harder and I really had to work to keep my pace; however, I could not keep up the mile 2 pace. Mile 3) 10:43 three miles under 11:00 on each one. I have done this before but not to this extent. I was fearless in my running. These are not really fast times generally speaking but they are for me. My final 5k time was 32:11. For me that was flying. I know I have to cut back the pace on my long runs but I think I can really start to look for the speed on the shorter ones.

I geared back for the rest of the run and finished 4.6 miles in 49:19. The last mile and a half was at an 11:24 pace. Not terrible. I'm no Dare Devil but I checked my fear at the door, its a start.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've started to think that running is more mental than physical.

Anonymous said...

that's awesome. Simply awesome! (I am loving your blog.) I remember doing a 33 minute 5K and although I was almost dead last, I may as well have come in first place. :)

Running is such a mind game isn't it.

Nancy said...

OH my goodness, you rock!!! Way to go. That is flying to me, too.

Robert Barker said...

I think that is what I am learning, running has such a huge mental component.

Jeff said...

Wow, Rob, I can see you with a cape on flying down the street!

Nice run!

uchi deshi said...

I gotta update my link to you!!

David H. said...

Those are great times. I guarantee that if you enter a 5k with other people that you'll be even faster.

Pokey said...

Good for you!!!!!! That is SPECTACULAR!!! I love stories like this ~ it gives me hope that one day I can FLY too! ;)

Now you've set yourself a new bar.....so go with it! You'll be amazed at what you can do :)