One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, March 28, 2008

Intervals Day 1

I decided to add a little speed work this week. I have thought about this a lot lately. I don't want to get injured as I approach my first marathon. With that in mind I thought that on the small run at the tail end of the week I could handle some intervals. Tom from Runners Lounge send me some good advice on speed work and I plan on following that. Yet, currently I think I want to just put my toe in the speed work thing and see how it goes.

Today was that little toe experience. I think things went well.

Here is the break down

.5 rest - 11:14 pace
.5 speed - 9:20 pace
.5 rest - 11:37 pace
.5 speed- 9:18 pace
.5 rest - 11:40 pace
.5 speed - 9:42 pace
.25 rest - 10:38 pace

I think this is a good start. I like that I can sustain about a nine and half pace for a half mile. I think that is a good sign. I don't think I am going to push beyond this for a few weeks. Well that is what I have. The interesting thing was that the last quarter felt effortless after the 9 and half's, good feeling. 17 miles up for this weekend, yikes that sounds far.

4 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

Good luck on the 17 this weekend!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Running 17 miles in a row is just a dream for me at the moment. Good luck with it!

Nancy said...

Yikes!! You are doing great. Good luck with 17. That is awesome.

David H. said...

This sounds excellent on the speed work. Keep this up and you'll soon notice that you're running faster overall.