One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

On the Radar

My next big event is this weekend, the Citizens Bank Caesar Rodney Half Marathon, in Wilmington Delaware. The last time I ran a half marathon was last September, in the Philadelphia Distance Run. This is a great race for anyone interested. At that time, I ran the first 7 miles faster than I had anything previously and spent the last 3 and half miles sucking wind. It wasn't pretty at the end but I finished. The final tally was a 2:45 minute race. I was very happy with that time considering what I went through just to finish the thing. The nagging plantar injury was alive and well at that time and I was able to grit out a finish. It was a good feeling. My neighbor Jack ran with me and we both had a great time. I still use the slippers they gave us post race when I do to do laundry down in the basement.

So what am I planning for this Sunday. In short, I am not sure. I know I am a much better runner today than I was 6 months ago but in terms of time, I am confused as to what to expect from myself. I think I can reasonably shave a minute off my time per mile from last September, which was a 12:36 per mile. If I shoot for 11:30 per mile, I would end up at 2:30:45, I think that this is a completely reasonable goal. I think based on my last two long runs and the excitement of race day, I should be able to do better than this.

So I think my goal will be 2:30:00 but I will aim for an 11:15 pace over the course of the race or a 2:27:28 total time. There is no real appreciable difference between the two. But that is what I am shooting for. If I go over my goal so be it, in the long run it is only a training run for my May marathon.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Great goals, Rob. I'm sure you'll see a big pickup from Philly.

I keep my Spenco flip flops in my gym bag! Love 'em.

Chief Wahoo said...

Sounds like reasonable goals and a big imporvement in 6 months!

Nancy said...

WOW, that's great. HUGE improvement. I'm always so jealous, but I know you are putting the work in so you totally deserve it!

Anonymous said...

You must have passed me in Philly. (My time was 2:59. I walked. A lot.)
The goal sounds reasonable to me (But what do I know.) Remember to have fun.

Robert Barker said...

It seems like a lot of us were at the distance run last year. It was great to be in such fine company. Thanks for everyone's support, I will do my best.