One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Week in Review

This was a scale back week so that means just a bit off the top in terms of the run distances. I still got out there but I wasn't really trying to keep up with the standard distances. Well here is how it turned out for the week.

2/26/08.....39.91 minutes.....3.43 miles.....11:23 pace.....657 calories
2/28/08 (am run).....22:39 minutes.....2.10 miles.....10:56 pace.....390 calories
2/28/08 (pm run).....54:38 minutes.....5.1 miles.....10:43 pace.....970 calories
3/1/08 .....1:42:49 minutes.....9.00 miles.....11:26 pace.....1713 calories

Total Miles: 19.63 miles

It was a good scale back week. I picked up some speed on my increased speed runs. This really isn't speed work as much as it is just picking up the pace a bit on the shorter runs. I can easily kick it up a notch from what I was doing before. At most I am just setting up a bit of a tempo, so in short I don't worry about the increased speed, it is in reality only 30 seconds per mile above what I was doing, which was not that fast to begin with. Two runs with a sub 11:00 pace, not too bad really.

In other fitness news, the I dropped a couple of more pounds this week and the diet is really working well. My martial arts training is going well as well. I now have all my old techniques back to their former level with only two weeks back. That is not too bad on my progress. I am tireless when it comes to practice so that is probably why. I am sporting a bit of an elbow hyper extension. This makes my boxing work a bit troubled but I am sure I will recover within a couple of weeks. Being involved in these types of things do increase the chance of injury, just a fact.

Well that's the week: 4 runs, 2 martial arts classes, and 3 hours of martial arts practice this was the effort, the result 2 pounds down. I'll take it.

6 comments:

David H. said...

Good looking week ... and an increase of 30 seconds per mile is HUGE increase.

Robert Barker said...

It may be if you are going from 7:00 to 6:30. But 11:15 to 10:45, not so much. Especially when there is a 20 pound weight decrease in the mix.

Nancy said...

That's FANTASTIC. Don't short yourself. This is huge progress no matter where you are starting. :D

Robert Barker said...

Nancy, thanks but I do think that my recent speed gains are very closely linked to my weight loss (which is hard).

Jeff said...

Great week, Rob. I do agree with you on the weight loss related speed improvement, but if you're not working on it, it wouldn't come anyway.

I continue to be impressed by your losing consistency. Way to go.

Robert Barker said...

Jeff, I have to give you credit, I did not think about the weight speed thing until I read one of your previous comments.