One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, March 3, 2008

What type of runner are you?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what type of runner I am. I used to think I was just a slow plodding type of runner, sort of a kin to a bulldozer. It will get there but you better not be in a hurry. These days I am thinking that is not quite true. I am still pretty sure that I am an endurance athlete. My long runs do seem to spell this out for me. Each time I hit a long distance my performance is better the second time out. My body adjusts and I am fine. The first time out though I do get burned out in the last mile or two of the run. I know that this is a direct result of my aggression. I have a personality flaw, it is true. I don't know how to ease into anything. I do understand push and drive but I don't understand take it easy. I don't think I have that gear. I am an aggressive guy in my life and that just transfers over into my running.

As I said last week, goals are made to be broken not merely met. I accept my aggression as part of who I am, it is after all a drive to succeed. When I run I do the same because I want to be better. These last couple of weeks I have been just kicking up the speed a little bit, more of a tempo run pace. This is not true speed work (I will think about that after the marathon in May) merely a kick up in tempo. I think the reason that I have been trying to go a bit faster has everything to do with my aggressive nature. I like challenges and right now speed is the one I am tackling. I am not looking for anything earth shattering, but I want to get down to 10:00 by the end of the year. I don't think this is unrealistic.

I am currently running short run paces around 10:45 to 10:55. I think that with a full Spring, Summer and Fall under my belt that 10:00 is not out of the question. I just have to work hard and try to progress steadily. I may have to keep my aggression in check at times. But sometimes I have to let it out. If you don't let your spirit run sometimes you just may end up killing it. What kind of runner am I? I think I could be a mid pack long distance runner. I am now at 228 lbs and if I drop another 20 I think I will right there. Now that I know where I am going, well now I can focus on the work to get there.

Goal 1 : 10:00 pace for short runs (3-5 miles) by the end of the year.
Goal 2 : 10:15 pace for mid range runs (7-9 miles) by the end of the year.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

WOW, nice new goals!! You can do it.

Cracks me up to read you when your personality comes through. Do lawyers come by this naturally? You sound a lot like my hub.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Nancy, I think aggressive people are drawn to being lawyers. Because to be truthful, I have always been this way. Push, drive, fight, survive ... that's me.

Jeff said...

Wow, the thought of sub 10 minute miles seems like such a big mental barrier. I think you're goals are totally reasonable. Good luck.

David H. said...

These are great goals. Keep in mind to keep it mixed up with built-in slow days, tempo runs, hills, rest days, etc. Mixing it up will only get you faster. Yes, weight loss will help, but it's only part of the equation.