One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Running Update

I don't usually write about my individual runs any longer, unless there is something remarkable. Last night I set out for my midling run. That is what I call the long mid week run. I set out to just keep a good pace and be comfortable. At the end of the run I had run each mile below 11:00 and finished with an average pace of 10:43. I have been finishing below the 11:00 pace for a bit of time but this is the first that I have had below 11:00 for seven miles in a row. To make it better, I did a .25 interval at the end of the run at a 7:45 pace. It felt good but strange. I had not run full out in sometime. So I have kicked the 11:00 barrier completely and now I can work on 10:00. Just so we are clear, I will still be over 11:00 for the marathon in May, there is a big difference between 26.2 and 7.5.

Another running related note, I found a track about 2.5 miles from home last night by running a different route than I usually do. I am happy that I can have a level spot to do some speed work. Huzzah. I think I am happier about this than is normal for most folks. Well, no one ever accused me of being normal.

In other news, my work has been getting in the way of my martial arts class, so I am quitting. Well not really, it is just annoying is all. But deadlines are deadlines and sometimes I have to work until 8 or 9 to get some things sorted out. I hope to make up a class this weekend. In an odd way I miss getting hit (now that is an odd admission).

Sad Philadelphia news, a man was waiting for a train and was beaten to death by four teens. The man was 36 and went into cardiac arrest while defending himself. One of the teens is in custody. I really do like the city but sometimes gives me pause. This happened in Center City where it is "safer" than most parts of the city. This troubles me. This city won't be a great city until we get the violence under control.

6 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Congrats on the improvement.

I still find my individual runs remarkable. ;)

Chief Wahoo said...

Way to go on the 7 mile run!

With the newly discovered track and your training schedule I am sure your speed will continue to improve!

Nancy said...

Wow, that is great running. So far I've only done 3 consecutive miles in the 10's. You are always a step ahead of me :D

We understand your excitement over the track find. :)

David H. said...

that's pretty cool to find a track so close. It makes speed work so much easier knowing you have measured distances so close.

Anonymous said...

Well done on your run! I find that my job encroaches on pretty much everything too. Makes me crazy. (Especially when it get in the way of running.)

Sad about senseless violence in your city.

Robert Barker said...

Andrew: I suppose I look for some things out of the ordinary. Although I think that I can run for the distances I do these days remarkable.

Chief: Thanks, I am looking forward to breaking the track in, for me atleast.

Nancy: I am not sure how far ahead I am. I think I am just running from your club.

David: I hope you are right on the speed thing.

Nat: Thanks, it is sad. 4 teenagers drop school to attack a man for no reason. It is a wierd world.