One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, April 28, 2008

20 Miles .... is far

This will be a short post, mostly due to my own uncertainty about things. I did my 20 miles on Sunday as planned at an 11:15 pace for the entire run. I am happy about that. After the run was over my hip was barking again, even after doing the whole thing on trails. It was much worse this week than it was previously. I am a bit concerned over my ability to deal with this injury over 26.2 miles. It is concerning me. I will do my taper and see what I think in three weeks. However, there is a chance that I will not run the Marathon on the 18th of May due to injury, not sure. If I had to lay odds I would say there is a 75% chance of running and 25% against. I will let you know as time goes on.

6 comments:

Road Warrior said...

You're being smart by being aware of your body and not pushing it just for one race. There are a ton of marathons and don't feel bad if it's not going to be this one.

Rest up and enjoy the taper. You've earned it!

Jeff said...

Rob -- Totally feel you pain. I hope you can work your way through this.

Can you find a sports med doc to look at it?

Good luck -- I'm rooting for you!

Chief Wahoo said...

Rob-

Bummer about the hip. Rest, stretch and ice may help. I hope that you will be able to race on 5/18 but you have the right attitude about shutting it down to avoid more serious injury if that become necessary.

Check out the stretches for ITBS - I know most source say it presents as knee pain - but my bout last fall presented as hip pain.

David H. said...

Now that you're entering the taper, I hope that things heel up -- that's what these next couple of weeks are about. You've done the hard part already, so rest up and listen to your body.

Andrew is getting fit said...

I hope it comes right.

Pokey said...

Bummer about the race, but you are right on in taking the conservative approach! There are many races...and only one body for Rob ;)

Take advantage of your taper and see what happens. I'm pulling for you!!