One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Returning to the Scene of the Crime

I really began running last March, and my first run was the Broad Street Run. This is a great race. The course goes straight through Philadelphia for 10 miles and is downhill the whole way. It is not a steep downhill but it is downhill. I feel like I have come full circle in a way. This weekend the Broad Street Run is here again and this will be the first time I have run a race a second time. It is exciting.

This was my first race ever. I think for that reason it holds some special meaning for me. The excitement and atmosphere was electric. There are thousands of folks with bands and well wishers. It was amazing. I think my real love of running was born on this course.

I am really looking forward to breaking my record from last year. This should not be a major feat as last year my pace was 14:26. I would like to blame it on the sprained ankle I had at the time. But the truth is that I was very fat and very out of shape. This was my start and since then I have dropped about 70 pounds and I generally run about 3 and1/2 to 4 minutes faster per mile. More than the marathon, this one means something to me.

I have learned a lot since last May. I am hoping to have a great time and hope to run a good race. This is great.

Here is my Last year's Broad Street Run race report.

Injury news:
-- After the stretching from my martial arts class last night, my hip feels about 25% better today than yesterday. I think my odds of running the marathon are now about 85%, if this keeps up I see no trouble. I will hold off on any running until Thursday to foster healing but I will continue to stretch and cross train. I have to hit a couple of times a week or I don't feel right. I am a strange man.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

No doubt, you'll blow it away, Rob. Just be safe and don't wipe out your marathon goals.

Robert Barker said...

Jeff,

To be truthful the marathon goals were always secondary to the Broad Street Run. That said I will be reasonable about things. What else would a lawyer do?

Andrew is getting fit said...

I can see why this race would hold special meaning to you.

Go for it and smash your record. Celebrate how far you have come.

Chief Wahoo said...

Good luck on the Broad Street Run - I fully expect that you will smoke your time from last year!

Glad to hear the hip is feeling better.

Road Warrior said...

I really enjoyed that run last year, too. I'm bummed I can't do it again this year for the same reasons.

Rock it out and then start tapering, damn it!

Nancy said...

Very exciting indeed. You can be so proud.