One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, April 4, 2008

The Coming Seasons of 2008

I am a what is next sort of person. So when I fell ill on Monday, I did some thinking. What is next after the Marathon in May? When the year started I thought I would break the year into seasons. Winter was the season of building the base. I spent my time logging the miles to build a base to get ready for the spring. Spring has been the season of the marathon. With the very nice Philadelphia weather it has been a very nice time to run. What is next? Summer. With the amount of time necessary to train for a marathon I need to make it up this Summer. Running is a wholely selfish act. There really is no doubt or arguing the point. (I will say that you need to be selfish some times in life. If you are not healthy you cannot do for others so in this circumstance selfish is necessary). That said with this marathon kick I have been a bit more selfish than usual. So for the Summer, I will try to take the family a few places and restrict my running to speed work and maintaining some distance work (maybe about 10 miles on the weekend) I will try to fit in a couple of 5k's.

Then comes the fall. I have a half marathon scheduled for Baltimore in October. I think I will add another half marathon in November. However, the amount of time needed for a full marathon is a bit too demanding to do it twice in one year. So there is my year to come. So, Winter was to build a base, Spring for the Marathon, Summer will be for speed and Fall will be for the half marathon.

I am looking forward to the marathon. That said I will said that the training is hard and very time consuming. Phew.

Tonight's run was a tempo - 7.5 miles with 3 miles at 10:05 to 10:10. The remainder was at about 10:45. It was a good run.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Nice running, you must be feeling better!

Great idea with the seasons. Can't neglect the family.

Andrew is getting fit said...

I have to agree, the running does impact on the time you have with your family. I'm not running nearly as much as you and I've noticed it already. I'm lucky that my wife has been very supportive so far.

Jeff said...

On the money, Rob. You're on the mark on the training -- I'd love to do a fall full, but the training time is huge. We could always get faster, I suppose.