One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Friday, April 25, 2008

Injury Progress

I know that everyone was worried about how my hip might do on an actual run after the massage I had on Tuesday. Well I was told to not do too much activity for the next couple of days post massage, so I didn't (well I went to martial arts class on Wednesday night ... but I did try to take it easy). On Thursday night I went out for a 4 miler on some trails near my home. The plan ... Do four miles. I did not have a speed in mind and just wanted to get the mil age going in the right direction.

Mile 1: Just tried to work into a flow. I could still feel the hip but it was just a ever so tiny little voice (I would guess it is about 90 to 95% recovered. First mile 10:38

Mile 2: I was trying to just keep the pace of mile 1, I didn't want to push just to maintain the pace. I started to go a bit faster and the tiny voice turned into a little voice. There does seem to be a speed component to this injury. Second mile 10:29

Mile 3: Mile three has some ups to it. It is no massive thing but you have to do some climbing and I am not the best at this yet. I am much better than I was though. Third Mile 10:40

Mile 4: I was just trying to maintain my pace and not push too hard on this one. Fourth Mile 10:38

I ended up at an average pace of 10:38 over 4.10 miles. It was good and the hip was fine, I am sure everyone was worried, but I am fine. I do believe that this is a manageable injury. I just have to be smart about it. The rest of the week holds 4 miles tonight and 20 miles on Sunday. Yes, I know 20 miles but that is really it. Starting on Monday, the beloved taper.

6 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

Glad to hear the hip is feeling better!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Great pace and happy to hear hip is good.

Nancy said...

Hey Rob, hope you are well. Sounds like you are doing some great running. I'm so excited for you.

Nanc

Pokey said...

So glad you are doing better! What a great run!!!

Robert Barker said...

It is amazing what a little rub down will do for some tired muscles. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Jeff said...

Good to see a nice consistent run. Hope your 20 went well this weekend. Looking forward to the full report.