One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Speed comes to those that wait

I still remember last year when I was trotting along at 14:00 miles. I knew I wasn't going fast but it was hard work at 280+ pounds to get my freight train of a body going at any kind of speed. I guess that is why we don't see many bulldozer races. These days I am flirting with a kind of respectable speed.

I did not post a week in review over the weekend. But I will do an abbreviated version, NOW:

Thursday: 3.65 miles, 10:09 pace
Friday: 4.10 miles, 10:25 pace
Saturday: 3.65 miles, 10:19 pace
Monday: 7.00 miles, 10:34 pace

I can see over the last month that I have gotten steadily faster. My miles over 11:00 are the rare occurrence on these shorter runs, this is a nice feeling. On my quicker days I seem to get a mile or two below the 10:00 mark. It is strange to see single digits on my Garmin at the mile mark. I am not going so fast as sometimes I try the talking drill to see if I am going too fast. I will sing a little to check how hard I am working. If I can belt out a few bars I know I am not pushing too much. I make sure I am alone before I do this. I have respect for my fellow man and wouldn't want to expose anyone to my dreadful renditions of what could loosely be classified as music. So I am not pushing too hard and I have been slowed down a bit due to the stiffness I have been experiencing in my left hip. I hope it can be worked out today during the massage.

4 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

Keep a close eye on that hip...I am speaking from experience...

If you run alot on the road, one of the things that I found really aggravates my left hip is constantly running against traffic the 1 or 2 degree slope puts a constant strain on the "downhill" leg. I have found that I experience less problems when I split my running between running with and against traffic so that it is not always the same leg that is "downhill"

Andrew is getting fit said...

Good tip from Chief Wahoo there.

I've been enjoying the running a lot more since I realised I didn't need to set a pace PR every training session and slowed down.

Pokey said...

You totally give me hope, Rob!!! I am concentrating on dropping my last 20 pounds of extra *baggage* in the hopes that it will allow me to start increasing my speed a bit.

I never hope to be fast, but a 10 or 11 minute pace would just be FANTASTIC!!!! ;)

Jeff said...

Great to see those speed improvements, Rob. Don't know about you but they seem to come out of nowhere for me.

I'm just a few strides a mile behind you.