One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Take it and Run: The Training Plan

Is it Thursday again? The good people at Runners Lounge have their take it and run Thursday and this week's topic is running plans. I have a few points I have picked up on the subject that be useful only to myself but here it goes:

1. A Running Plan is not a statute, law or hard set of rules. It took me a while to turn down the anal on this point. If my plan said run 3 on Monday, 5 on Wednesday and 3 on Thursday, that is what I did no more no less. I am much more loose on the plans these days. If the plan calls for 7 on Wednesday and 4 on Friday, I have no problem switching the days if I have some other schedule issues to contend with. Also, I don't beat myself up if I run 3.5 on a day that calls for 4. This is an exercise program not the building of the space shuttle. So I look at it like a guideline rather than a set of rules. As long as I make steady progress toward the end result I am fine with it.

2. Build flexibility into the program, for myself this is a must. I always add one to two extra weeks into the program. I do this because I have a life with demands, much like anyone else. I may intend to get it all done but sometimes I just can't. So I put in a couple of extra weeks in case I spin my wheels for a week or two along the way. This reduces the stress of I have to do 18 this week. If I don't make it I can try again next week with no penalty in the overall training.

3. Write in pencil. I have found that I don't know as much as I like to think I know. When I write the plan out I think this is what I need to do to get to the end. Yet, I reflect on the way. I am currently training for a marathon and have two long runs left on the program. I had set this up in terms of miles but I will be changing to time based for the last two. I believe it will take me 5 hours to do a marathon. So I think for the last two runs I will run for 3.5 hours and 4 hours. I came to this decision because I didn't want to lock myself in 100% to my training plan. I want the flexibility to change my mind, so for me training plans need to be adjustable.

Those are my three points for training plans. I suppose I am just saying take it easy and take it all with a grain of salt. Use the training plan to get where you are going but don't be afraid to change it. It is a sign of my insanity that I have rules about not having rules.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

Whaddya mean it's not a "not a statute, law or hard set of rules"? Are you saying it's not written in stone? Can't possibly be.

Seriously, though, looks like you've got a good grip on how it's supposed to work.

Do you start with a "commercial" plan and then build off of that or just start with a clean sheet of paper?

Robert Barker said...

I do start with a commerical plan and put myself into it depending on where I am running at the time. This time I was 5 weeks in. Then I copy it and modify as I go. I think next time, I may do my own.

Andrew is getting fit said...

There seems to be a method to your madness. Thanks for the tips.

*lisa* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pokey said...

Great stuff, Rob!

I guess I dont have trouble FINDING a plan....my trouble comes with STICKING TO a plan! :P

Robert Barker said...

Well Andrew, I think there is a madness to my method. Lisa, I will give a look and think about it. Maybe something this weekend.