One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Marathon Training

I have been training for my first marathon for a couple of months now and I thought I would take some time to say how it has been going. During that time my long runs have gone from 11 miles to 16 this last weekend. I have learned a lot from these runs in particular and in the training as a whole, here are my observations.

  1. Your body gets used to running certain distances and when you venture beyond your comfort zone there is a period of adjustment. My comfort zone was up to 14 miles. When I went beyond this my body really barked at me. After finishing 13 I am just fine; however, when I finished 15 I felt like my ankles were going to burst into flame and the fatigue was overwhelming. Last week I did 16 and the last mile was a bit of a torture. I will say that I did a lot more hills than usual so this probably had an impact on my post run feeling.
  2. Your body adjusts much quicker than you would think to the new stress you put on it. I did struggle with some of the longer runs, the first time. I found that after I ran a distance once I was able to have a much better run at the distance the next time I ran it. Moreover, my feeling at the end of a distance that the week before would leave me exhausted, I felt pretty fresh. Not like a creepy guy on a subway, but as in not so tired.
  3. Your ability to recover from long runs gets shorter the more that you do them. I remember doing a 15K a year ago that took me the better part of a week to get over. On Saturday, I ran 16 miles. I felt fine to run on Monday but for a bit of a head cold and fever.
  4. Speed comes with practice (and weight loss). I remember when I started running about a year ago doing 14 and 15 minute miles. I was flat out slow. I was sometimes passed by people walking. I have worked at it (and lost 70 pounds along the way). So now I am averaging about 10:30 to 10:45 pace. I am also doing some interval training and will add some track work this summer. It was hard work pushing the pace down. Your body gets into a comfort zone and it doesn't really want to break that. So you have to mix it up to get beyond this comfort zone. I think part of training is doing things that are a little uncomfortable.
  5. Respect your rest days. I have learned that you can't rush the training. If you miss a day and it can happen, everyone's life has demands some unexpected, you often times can't make it up. Trying to push 4 running days into 4 consecutive days is asking for trouble. Your body needs time to recover. I have found that my spirit and willpower exceed my physical ability. I can push myself to complete the distance and put all the runs in but the price I pay is too steep. It increases the chance of injury and the fatigue it generates lasts more than a day. In addition, the later runs will not be at top ability because the recovery from the previous run is incomplete.
  6. Sleep matters. I am a busy man and often work long hours. My family demands are much like others. When I sleep 5 to 6 hours a night, my running is not as crisp as when I sleep 7 to 8 hours a night. (Less sleep also leads to weight gain). I find that getting a good night's sleep is vital to my performance. Plus, I am more likely to get out there if I am well rested, otherwise the call of the pillow is too strong to resist.
  7. Running is complicated. I used to think what could be easier, just put one foot in front of the other and try to do it quickly. I am learning that the more I know the more I realize how little I know about this sport. Running is a simple natural act but it requires a good deal of concentration and dedication to learn how to run well. That is what I strive for not to be a someone who runs but someone who runs well. I am learning, everyday.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

This is really a great post, Rob. I so agree with you. It would be a great one to submit to Runner's Lounge.

You are doing fantastic. As always, I really admire your determination. 70 lbs is awesome!

Jason said...

Rob, Great post!!!

See my post
.

Andrew is getting fit said...

These tidbits of wisdom are extremely valuable to someone like me who is just starting. Thank you for a great post.

Jeff said...

Well done. I agree with it all. Just wondering how you fit 7-8 hours of sleep into the schedule.

Robert Barker said...

I am glad the post is well received. I did see Jason's post before and thought it was a great list. As to the 7 to 8 hours per night of sleep I usually only manage that on the days I run. The rest of the time I make due on 6.

David H. said...

Great post, and great perspective on things. When I trained for the marathon last summer, I too often struggled in the last mile. One thing that I realized that was by the end I was lacking water and extra nutrition. We're all different in what we need, but if you up your fluid intake and add an extra gel or whatever you do, that last mile might get a little easier.

Robert Barker said...

You know David, I don't think so with me. I am anal about the hydration and energy side of running. For me it may be something else.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Great post Rob. Keep up the good work.

Chief Wahoo said...

Thanks for sharing some very good thoughts.

I am with you 100% on the fact that sometimes to improve endurance or speed your training needs to be "uncomfortable"