One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Monday, April 21, 2008

Listening to your body

I have been having a bit of pain in my hip and lower back as of late. I know it is just over use. I did something this week that most people will cringe at. To be truthful, I don't care. You have to know your own body and what is best to do for yourself at times this will fly in the face of conventional logic. So I took my long run off this week. I was scheduled for a 12 mile run on a down cycle week. In short, I was hurt and I need to recover. My back and hip were becoming issues in everyday life and not just when I ran. I could have run through it but I knew I needed the rest. So I took the time off, it was necessary. So now this weekend when I have 20 miles staring me in the face I won't be as concerned.

I feel better today. I did not have any wincing moments and even though the hip is stiff it is a workable situation. Most people might have said to just take the 12 slower than usual. You know, I don't think I could have done that. When I warmed up and started to feel fine on the run, I would have sped up. The best remedy for me was rest.

4 comments:

David H. said...

Simply put, you did the right thing.

Chief Wahoo said...

Kudos to you for taking the time off you need! It is not an easy thing to do, even though it is the right thing to do!

Andrew is getting fit said...

You are doing the right thing.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks, it is nice to see that others agree. I have a hard time controlling my own stupidity, so I have to stop before I give myself a chance to do the wrong thing.