One Man's Fitness Fitness Adventures and Musings

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Take it and Run: 13 Words or Less

Tom and Amy at Runner's Lounge have asked for our best running advice in 13 words or less. Well the good news is that no one will get eye strain reading it all.

Success in running is all about getting out the door
I have been running now for more than a year. In that time I have not taken time off but for injuries and I believe that the way that I did it was that early on I made it a point to just get out there. It did not matter how far I went or how long. It just mattered that I showed up. I started walking a few minutes and running a few minutes. I entered a race just so that I would be responsible to myself for my actions regarding running. Slowly but surely I built up my endurance, and slowly speed. It all started with showing up. Early on showing up is the hardest thing to do but if you can get the showing up part down the rest is gravy.

6 comments:

Midwest said...

Well said!

Jason said...

I agree completely. Good post.

Mike said...

You're right...the only 'hardest' part is getting yourself out there.

The Laminator said...

Very true, very true. Glad you got out the door that first day.

Database Diva said...

I have often said that the hardest step of any run is the one out the door.

Bob A said...

I so agree. A couple of years ago, I was groaning about not being able to get my speed to where I wanted it. A good friend reminded me that no matter how slow I thought I was, I was still faster than the vast majority of 50 year olds who weren't running at all.